Old May 7th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default travelling in london for tourists/travelcard

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Martin Rich wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:51:39 -0400, "S. Sen"
wrote:

My wife and I will be travelling to London from Philadelphia and plan
to make extensive use of the public transportation system while there.
We will be there for 7 days. We will be staying at Leatherhead, Surrey
which I understand is Zone 6. Thus, we would be coming into the city
proper each day and going back fairly late in the evening.

Leatherhead is outside the travelcard area so isn't in any zone. If you
get an ordinary zone 1-6 card then you will need to buy, in addition,
individual return tickets (round-trip in American terminology) from
Leatherhead to the outside of zone 6 every day. Go to the station at
Leatherhead in the morning, show them your travelcard, and ask for a
return to the outside of zone 6.

Is it possible to instead get, say, a return to the edge of Z2 with a Z12
travelcard, and if so, would that be cheaper? I suspect that our
Philadelphian friend will not routinely be venturing outside the middle of
town.

tom

--
information distribution, vox humana, deviation, handle, feed, l.g. **