Old January 15th 16, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Inspector Sands and his pals

In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15/01/16 09:05, Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never
knew where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the
other coded PA messages on stations, ships and planes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ency-codes-you
re-not-supposed-to-know-about.html

In true Telegraph style, some of that is trivial:

"Hot bit - The heated part of an in-flight meal."

and some is just plain wrong:

"Flight level - "A fancy way of telling you how many thousands of
feet you are above sea level. Just add a couple of zeroes. Flight
level three-three zero is 33,000 feet.""

Is that wrong? [Yes, I know it's the barometric altitude, but that's not
something that's normally mentioned.]

Count the numbers of zeros.

--
Colin Rosenstiel