Old January 15th 16, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Inspector Sands and his pals

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 06:46:14 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
d () wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 05:25:13 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:05:33 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I think we all know what an Inspector Sands call means, though I never
knew where his name came from. This article told me, and some of the
other coded

I always assumed it was because in times past they'd chuck the sand
bucket on a fire. I'm fairly sure I remember one being in a lot of
stations when I was a kid.

I remember sand buckets on the tube. They looked pretty ancient.

IIRC they seemed to have been mostly used as a convenient place to stub
out cigarettes.

Presumably they now have a better way of putting out fires though one
doesn't see too many CO2 extinguishers around so not sure what it might
be.

I fear they have to be locked away these days.

Yes, they were removed from the passenger saloons of underground
trains some years ago (as they were being used as weapons), but I
gather they're still carried in the cabs.