Old January 19th 16, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Piatkow[_2_] Piatkow[_2_] is offline

Default Bus stop naming convention(s) (if any)?

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 15:21:19 UTC, Robin wrote:
Bloody tourists! I did some a favour this afternoon when it was clear
they'd got a bit lost. How did they thank me? By asking a simple
question about London buses that I couldn't even begin to answer: why is
it that where (as often) there are bus stops on the same road, serving
the same route(s), more or less opposite one another, they (a) sometimes
have the same name but (b) sometimes have totally different names.

I thought at first I might bluff it with references to stops named after
different roads on different sides of the route but that just seemed to
beg the follow-up "why in some places but not others?" Ditto for places
of interest on different sides of the road.

My searches have drawn a blank.

Are there rules or conventions on this please?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

No definite answer but I can think of cases where a stop has been relocated to a point where the nearest stop opposite is actually the previous stop in that direction.

Just to confuse matters I have also seen the name used as a timing point or fare stage in London Transport days applied to a different stop on the route.