Old May 8th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham J Graham J is offline

Default Fulham Broadway Conundrum

Oh yes, I forgot: when the plans for the new station were put on show, I
remember discussing a direct route into Stamford Bridge with the

developers,
who said they were keen on having a direct link into the stadium, but the

local
authority objected.

It was rather a long running saga that cropped up in the Chelsea programme
now and again for a long time. It ended up with the club wanting it but the
council objecting on safety grounds (though I could have sworn it started
off the other way around). I've no idea what the safety issue was with a
walkway that wouldn't have been more than about fifty yards long. Doesn't
seem any more inherently unsafe than the station platform itself.

The club also wanted to have access to and from a road (not sure which one)
to the north of the ground and that was turned down too. Pity as that would
have brought West Brompton station into play more. I think that might have
been residents objections that dealt with that. Then there were the
suggestions of a station by the side of the ground itself. Not sure if that
failed a reality check or what.