Old January 21st 16, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default London Overground expansion

On 21/01/2016 15:45, e27002 aurora wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:15:06 +0000, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

The taxpayers and fare payers of the home county are responsible for
London's wealth creation. Their taxes and fares pay for the rail
networks, and then some.

Citation please?

Do all the bankers, financers, insurers, lawyers, et al who make the
financial center function live within the London Boroughs? I didn't
think so.

No - but quite a lot do and residence close to your place of work is
something that should actively be encouraged by the powers-that-be
rather than it becoming a societal norm to commute vast distances daily,
putting huge strain on the relevant transport infrastructure (that then
goes relatively unused the other 20 hours of the day)

'm personally of the view it is impossible to
dimension a railway to cater for all the people who believe it is their
right to commute 50 miles each way every day to arrive just before 9am
and leave around 17:30. All with a guaranteed seat and a short walk to
their detached home in a leafy suburb.

But, more and longer trains can be provided. Better signalling could
hasten journeys. How about some comfortable seating. We would like
our catering facilities back also.

And I'd like a unicorn. One that craps rainbows. But we can't always
get what we'd like.

All these things may help, but the terminii can't cope either -
unfortunately people don't work right at the terminii and therefore
continue their journeys by other forms of transport - forms that
struggle to cope with the very bursty loads generated by trains emptying
out.

What you'd need is trains continuing along tunnels through London
stopping at appropriate interchange points before ending up in some
giant stabling yard on the opposite side of London from where they
started and then reverse the process in the evening.