Old January 23rd 16, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Overground expansion

In article ,
(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 08:52:47 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 22 January 2016 13:49:39 UTC, e27002 wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 05:26:11 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Friday, 22 January 2016 12:51:22 UTC, e27002 wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 02:09:50 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

SNIP

In 1855 the Metropolitan Board of Works was imposed on the urbanized
parts of Middlesex, Surrey, and Kent adjacent to the City. This was
an unelected, unpopular body that descended into corruption.

So, in 1889, without the consent of the governed, half of Middlesex,
and parts of neighboring Surrey, and Kent were annexed into the
London County Council Area.

Really - no members of parliament then - I thought the reform act was
in 1832.

Do remind me of when the residents of Middlesex were polled in a
referendum regarding their future.

General elections were held in 1885 and 1886 on a reformed franchise
(nor universal, but most adult males).

A referendum is only really appropriate for something one cannot
practically reverse e.g. Independence of Scotland or joining the EU.

If the boundaries do not work then parliament can just as easily revise
them as it did with the counties of Avon, Humberside and Cleveland.

All of which still exist for various purposes.

The London County Council was unique in being granted powers not
given to other counties. Why these powers could not have been
granted the Middlesex, Surrey, and Kent is a mystery.

Because they related to a capital city (and the largest urban centre
by a large margin)?

IIRC the extra powers related to education and orphanages. These are
hardly matters that could not be handled by the existing boroughs, or
counties.

Really, so why was ILEA set up then?

ILEA was incorporated in 1965 at the same time as the GLC. Prior to
that the LCC handled education,

ILEA was set up because it was not thought acceptable when the GLC was
created to break up the old LCC Education department. Later, After the GLC
was abolished Thatcher decided she could get away with doing so. It took
decades for inner London education to recover.

My post was in chronological order. So, yes, REALLY.

We'll have to agree to differ then. Cambridge and neighbouring South
Cambridgeshire still have council owned and run social housing because
tenants overwhelmingly voted to keep it that way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel