Old January 23rd 16, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
e27002 aurora e27002 aurora is offline

Default London Overground expansion

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:20:36 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

It's all very well providing 'affordable housing' and very laudable it
is. Not everybody is able to afford or even wish to buy their own
property, however cheap you might make it.

Affordability: price is a function of supply and demand. Supply can
be increased as indicated up thread. Demand would be reduced if HMG
ceased accepting the dregs of Eastern Europe. The UK is hardly short
of bottom feeders.

As to wishing to rent. That is am excellent point. I certainly do
not buy a home in every City and Town wherein I work. Within the last
five years I have rented for two months in San Diego and for nine in
South El Monte.

Moreover when I first started esteblishing a presence on England's
south coast, I rented for two years until I saw a home I wanted to
buy, and was ready to do so.

So the answer is that old fashioned council house (social housing
nowadays).

Affordability: price is a function of supply and demand. Supply can
be increased as indicated up thread. Demand would be reduced if HMG
ceased accepting the dregs of Eastern Europe. The UK is hardly short
of her own bottom feeders.

As to wishing to rent. That is an excellent point. I certainly do
not buy a home in every City and Town wherein I work. Within the last
five years I have rented for two months in San Diego and for nine in
South El Monte.

Moreover when I first started establishing a presence on England's
south coast, I rented for two years until I saw a home I wanted to
buy, and was ready to do so.

So the answer is that old fashioned council house (social housing
nowadays).

For goodness sake why? The private sector can do it better and more
efficiently. By all means allow local authorities to contract with a
supplier to provide interim affordable rented homes.

But, spare us the humiliating experience of the council estate. Those
home should be sold ASAP.

They are available to the masses at a price that can be
afforded.

Ah, those "masses" what are they demanding now?

Yes they may need to be subsidised to a point but isn't that
what Society is about and better than tax credits?

Tax credits are a nonsense. Employers should pay a living wage or
move over. Why should another man's taxes subsidize bad employers?

Supporting our
weaker members should be what 'we' do?

Yes, we absolutely should, thru family, church, synagogue, friends and
charities not by stealing from worker's pay packets.

Remember: give a man a fish feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and
feed him and his family for life.

The world has become obsessed with people being able to purchase and I'm
not convinced it's helpful.

As pointed out up thread, there are exceptions. However, ideally a
family unit should have its own bricks and mortar. Otherwise there
are too many voters with no skin in the game. They will always vote
for the biggest handout.