Old May 9th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default "Short Journey - Ask Driver"

John Rowland:
I saw this on the front of a 91 the other day, shortly after it had
left its Crouch End terminus. Since double-decker buses aren't the
easiest things to turn around, except at authorised turnarounds, I am
surprised that the blind didn't specify the point where the bus was
turning ...

They aren't? Wouldn't it just be a matter of going "around the block"
via suitable side streets?

Just by the way, practice here in Toronto is like this.

For buses, the normal signs are now digital and show something like this,
often cycling between displays to show the route number, route name, and
endpoint. The split into parts and the exact style varies from one
route to another (for example, not all use the word "route"), and these
examples may not be exact. The slogan is only present sometimes,
usually when I want to know as quickly as possible what bus it is. :-)

ROUTE 61 - AVENUE ROAD NORTH - TO ROE - GO LEAFS GO

Commonly used turnback points or extended versions of the route are
treated the same as branches and have their own indication:

ROUTE 61B - 61B AVENUE ROAD N - TO OTTER - GO LEAFS GO

Unusual turnbacks get an S suffix and "Short Turn":

ROUTE 61S - AVENUE ROAD N - SHORT TURN

For streetcars (trams), the normal signs are on blinds and show the
route number and endpoint, omitting the route name (here, Queen):

501 NEVILLE PARK

Commonly used turnback points have their own indication:

501 CHURCH

But *in addition* a fixed sign reading SHORT TURN is raised. If this
sign was used alone with the standard destination blind reading, it
would imply an unusual turnback point (or a driver too lazy to change
the main sign correctly).
--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
| many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,
Toronto | can be very Backwards indeed." -- Steve Summit