Old February 4th 16, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Contactless and revenue checks

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 10:23:23 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:39:39 on Thu, 4 Feb
2016, d remarked:
Its easy for the revenue guys little handheld machine to check a valid
oyster card or not since the data is held on the card. But how do they deal

with
contactless bank cards? The card itself will have no knowledge of the journey
and I doubt these devices have a wifi connection to TfL HQ to check if the
bank account has any money in it and whether the card has been touched in etc
so how does it work? Or not?

Simply by the T&C of using a contactless card on TfL allows them charge
the card later (without any further seeking of permission) if it emerges
that the fare wasn't paid.

So the hand held reader just records the card number and a check is done
later? Makes sense.

As for "burner cards" (I've got two of them) that's just a cost of doing

Burner cards?

business. Whether they'd chase an offender for one lost fare is
debateable, although they might well prosecute a sample repeat offender
and make sure it's in the newspaper "to encourage the others".

They'd have to trace the card owner through the bank first. I very much doubt
the bank would oblidge them without a warrant and if its a foreign bank they
can forget it.

--
Spud