Old February 4th 16, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default Contactless and revenue checks

d wrote:

Hmm. I don't like the idea of a company being able to extract money
from someones card without permission because there's always the
danger of an error which goes unnoticed by the owner or if the card
has been nicked. It would be far better if they just blocked it so it
couldn't be used again until the owner paid the fare.

I don't see how you arrive at "without permission". From Contactless
Conds of Carriage : "2.3 When you touch your contactless payment card on
a yellow card reader, or a portable card reader held by staff, you are
giving authorisation for the cost of your journey, including any maximum
fares or unpaid fares, to be charged to your card account."

OTOH I can see enormous scope for harm if a card were blocked by TfL if
it had not been used to touch in (or had not been not recorded as
such) - up to an including people missing onward connections and hence
births/marriages/deaths; and people stranded and then raped/murdered.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid