Old February 8th 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default Contactless and revenue checks

On 08/02/2016 16:16, d wrote:
On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:48:39 +0000
David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 03:04:51PM +0000,
d wrote:

Well unless the RID has a realtime radio link to the main computer I don't
see how else it could be done other than by a reconciliation later.

Mobile data hardware and airtime is dirt cheap these days, so I'd not be
at all surprised to learn that ticket inspectors' hand-held devices can
talk to head office in real time.

Maybe. Though they seem to work rather quicker than I'd expect if there was
a round trip request via a GSM link. Also I've seen them being used in the
DLR tunnel to Bank where there's no chance of a signal (I assume DLR use the
same system). Quite why they were bothering to do a revenue check just before
one of the few stations on the DLR where you *can't* get out without a ticket
is anyones guess.

--
Spud

Quick trip on the W&C line to Waterloo and you're out and free...

Although you're right - it does seem to happen a fair amount more than
you would expect on that bit.