Old February 9th 16, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Contactless and revenue checks

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:16:57PM +0000, d wrote:
On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 15:48:39 +0000 David Cantrell wrote:
Mobile data hardware and airtime is dirt cheap these days, so I'd not be
at all surprised to learn that ticket inspectors' hand-held devices can
talk to head office in real time.

Maybe. Though they seem to work rather quicker than I'd expect if there was
a round trip request via a GSM link.

Connection setup is slow, but once it's up sending a few packets back
and forth via GSM (well, more likely to be 3G or 4G these days) is going
to be fast enough. And I expect that the connection would come up once
and stay up until the user stops scanning cards.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Arbeit macht Alkoholiker