Old February 16th 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default ELL closure

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:47:52 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:32:36 on Tue, 16 Feb
2016, d remarked:

Given the cost and complexity of aircraft, the cost of maintaining them,
landing fees, fuel etc, you have to wonder exactly just how air is cheaper.

Because the only infrastructure which requires maintaining is the
airport at either end. The airspace maintains itself.

Thats a lot of infrastructure. I would imagine that in total complexity
Heathrow far exceeds the east or west coast mainlines. Control tower, radar,
ILS, baggage, runway & taxiways, hangers, underground fuel pipes, storage,
vehicles, security including fences, car parks, staff transport, commercial
premises, and probably 101 things I haven't even thought of.

--
Spud