Old February 25th 16, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Platform levels

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:23:09 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:11:17 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
Up to a point. Though it brings its own problems - the gap at the highly
curved Aldgate platforms is borderline dangerous for anyone with poor
eyesight.

Have they installed the bright below-platform lights there, as at
other curved platforms? That would help people not fail to spot, and

Can't remember TBH, its been a few months since I last went there.

But I think that's your answer: it was deemed to be safer to overhang
platforms than to be at the identical level with a large gap on curved
platforms. And presumably on general purpose lines all trains aren't
the same height anyway, so you'd have had both a gap and a height
difference.

Curved platforms sure, but on straight platforms I can't see a good reason
for not having the platform the same height as the train. Even if the trains
floor height varies by a few inches, that's preferable to the large step up
you get at some places. And if only one type of train is going to run on
a new built line, eg victoria line, they really had no excuse. At least they
got it right with the JLE and ELLX. Presumably the lizzyline will do the same.

I looked at the pics I took in Japan and see that even on recent
Shinkansen lines, the train floors are a bit higher than the platform,
though the height difference is quite small, and there's almost no
gap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...33542371720/li
htbox/

Good pics.