Old February 25th 16, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Essex Road and Drayton Park stations

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

I'm wondering when either of these stations had any external
refurbishment done. If I were running Great Northern I would have
erected signs to advertise the 7-day service - I suspect the cost of
doing so would have been dwarfed by the cost of running the weekend
service.

Essex Road in particular looks like the station that time forgot - I
can't even tell if the sign over the door is in the colours of the
current franchise holder or some long-forgotten one, but shouldn't it
at least say Essex Road *Station*? The BR sign at the corner is still
in Network Southeast colours, but for some reason is very easy to not
see even when you know it's there. I bet there are people living
around the corner for years who don't even know it's a station,
especially if they moved there after it was expunged from the tube
map.

Good points. It does have a departures screen over the entrance, though,
something I don't recall seeing at other stations.

At least they put in a separate electricity supply at platform level 40
years ago. The platform lights used to run from the traction supply and dim
alarmingly as each train departed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel