Old May 10th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default "Short Journey - Ask Driver"

"Solar Penguin" wrote in
message ...
"Mark Brader" wrote in message ...
John Rowland:

Since double-decker buses aren't the easiest things
to turn around, except at authorised turnarounds

Mark Brader:
They aren't? Wouldn't it just be a matter of going
"around the block" via suitable side streets?

John Rowland:
Yes, but most side streets and corners here aren't suitable. ...

In what way?

Probably too narrow, like most streets in London.

To add to everyone's other comments, at traffic lights where buses turn the
corner, the STOP line in the road that the bus turns left into may be set
back a significant distance to allow the bus to turn left without hitting
queueing cars. Turning right is not usually such a squeeze, but finding a
bit of the road network where the bus can do a 180 degree turn without
turning left might not always be too easy.

Which reminds me, I noticed the bus terminus at Barnet Church a few weeks
ago. Although the sliproad in question is not restricted to buses, it looks
completely pointless until you realise it facilitates U-turns in a long
vehicle. But I don't understand why the bus terminus was built there - any
bus turning there fails to serve most of the High Street and the shopping
centre.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped