Old May 10th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nigel Nigel is offline

Default Abandoned railway loop in Wembley

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:22:59 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

In South Way, the place where the abandoned loop crossed the road is clearly
visible - just west of Second Way, the road seems to pass over a slightly
humped bridge, although the bridge isn't over anything. However, I was
confused by viaducts on the correct alignment either side of the road, at
road height. The most plausible explanation was that these viaducts carried
the railway, and that the bump in the road was actually a level crossing,
not a bridge. But the viaducts don't look like railway viaducts, and I can't
see why the railway would be so high up, when the remaining railway through
Wembley Stadium station is in such a deep cutting. Any clues? TIA.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Having grown up in the Wembley area, I can tell you Wembley did have
Five Stations.

Wembley Stadium Station was indeed on a loop line and was built to
serve the British Empire Exhibition in 1927. The track was a
single-line loop leaving the GCR rails just past Neasden sidings. The
loop would have been about one-mile in length, returning back upon
itself. I have vague recollections of the station buildings and small
platform all being build of wood. I never journeyed from there and it
was not an easy station to find unless you knew where it was, within
the huge Business and Industrial estate which surrounded it. In
itself a rather remote place. Trains using the branch could also have
joined the cross-London freight line at Brent Sidings or was it
Silkstone Junction?

Certainly the station survived until well into the 1970's, though the
single track had been lifted by then. During the early 1970's quite a
few buildings left over from the Empire Exhibition still survived and
were used by such companies as Firestone Tyres & Columbus Dixon floor
polishers. British Communications (Racal) had a factory and offices
right at the end of Fourth Way and thier site backed directly onto the
tracks from Marylebone to Wembley Hill. The Palace of Engineering and
those little decorative lakes behind the Empire Pool were still there
in 1974 and parts of the huge old scenic railway, much of it left in
bits could still be found in places.

Nigel