Old March 3rd 16, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default More Boris buses ordered

On 2016-03-02 23:27:16 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

Unfortunately I think we are going to see the partial destruction of
Central London's bus network off the back of pedestrianising Oxford
St. All the candidates support it and believe Crossrail will be some
sort of cure all. They are wrong. It has also been reported that TfL
have apparently decided that Central London is no longer a priority
for investment so what money there is will go to the suburbs and
capacity will be lost in Zone 1. Oddly I can't recall where the
public were asked if they supported this fundamental change in policy.

I'm afraid I agree with the proposal - Oxford St is at times a horrible
place to be, and it would be much nicer if it was pedestrianised. I'd
cope with a tram running up and down every 5-10 minutes, but other than
that it is the epitome of the oppressive feel of much of London caused
by the predominance of large, often aggressively-driven vehicles.
Though I'd admit that builders' lorries are far worse.

Along similar lines, I don't get the Edinburgh hate for the tram
network idea (other than its appalling project mismanagement). Princes
St is oppressive with the number of buses running up and down it at all
times of day. I like Lothian as an operator, but it really isn't
becoming of a European capital city in 2016.

I also, as you're aware, agree with the idea that the primary purpose
of buses should be to run outside central London taking people to/from
railway stations. I do accept that some parallel running is needed,
but that should be limited to where capacity on the rail network is
inadequate.

I also don't like the "first and second class" nature of bus vs Tube.
It should be one fare set for a journey on TfL, regardless of what mode
or combinations thereof are used. If that causes certain groups
economic difficulties, then a concessionary scheme for travel on the
whole network, not just buses, needs to be looked at.

Neil
--
Neil Williams