Old March 4th 16, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More Boris buses ordered

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:48:57 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 17:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:27:16 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Will you get to see bendy buses on the streets of London again?

Doubtful and to be honest it's not important.
[...]
We need to get away from an obsession with vehicle types or some
aspect of them and concentrate on adding capacity where it is needed,

The environmental aspect is pretty important! Wouldn't running bendies
generate less polution for the same passenger capacity than using
double-deckers?

Why?

When both are full theres a greater number of passengers per unit mass of
the vehicle on a bendy. Hence more efficient.

Is that so? What data did you base that on?

I'm not an expert, but what I can see says that there's hardly any
difference. I calculate that a fully loaded Scania double-decker
carries about 8.6 pax per tonne of kerb weight, and a Mercedes Citaro
Bendy carries about 8.8. Do you have better figures?

That's too small to have any measurable difference on emissions. And
that's before you add in the emissions from Citaro spontaneous
combustion...

Yes, I'd forgotten what incredible lard-butts the bendies are. There must be
much to be said for bring back RMLs. They carry about 9.2 pax per tonne of
kerb weight.

--
Colin Rosenstiel