Old March 11th 16, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default New Holborn standing escalator trial

In message , at 10:43:02 on Fri, 11 Mar
2016, d remarked:
Not as much as they'll have been delayed standing all the way up the long
escalator at Holborn.

TfL's stats would claim otherwise.

I'm sure they would, but I wouldn't believe them. The *average* speed of
everyone going up no doubt will be faster. But for those of us who arn't
bone idle lard butts it'll almost certainly be slower. Holborn is a long
escalator and there's no way the wait at the bottom can ever be long enough
to make up for standing all the way to the top.

How much delay do you think is involved (by having the stand)? When it's
busy the walking lane doesn't necessary flow very well, and I'd expect
we are talking about getting a couple of dozen steps advantage. So
around ten seconds. It's easily possible to queue that long at the
bottom of a crowded escalator (as I did at Baker Street Jubilee Line to
Met escalator last week in the evening rush hour).