Old July 21st 03, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Epping-Ongar news?

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
While I don't doubt the truth of what you say for a minute, Clive *and*
while being deeply sceptical of the advantages of guided buses [1], how
does the Cambridgeshire system actually increase a particular journey?

Crude map:

+---------busway--------+
| |
| |
C D
| |
| |
+-----A-----+-----B-----+
| |
V X

V is the village where I live, X is the central Cambridge area.
Road A is a 3 lane each way dual carriageway.
Road B has a bus lane in the direction that sees congestion.
Road C is a narrow country lane.
Road D is a busy road where adding a bus lane involves major political
risk.

In addition, the busway route is about twice the length, or more, of the
present route.

It seems likely that the presence of the busway will mean that all
routes around here are altered, and that the bus to Cambridge will be
diverted to it.

[1] The only place I can see guided bus technology being of use is in
bus *stations*, to be honest, for ensuring flush boarding and coping
with often restricted areas.

Apparently it works well in Adelaide because of the layout of things:

Adelaide: Cambridge:

Wide streets in central Narrow congested streets in
area, no busway centre
Congested suburbs bypassed Congested roads in suburbs
by busway
Quiet roads in countryside Quiet countryside roads bypassed
by busway

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: