Old April 3rd 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Rainbow Line

On 03.04.16 11:14, bob wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:49:14 on Sat, 2 Apr 2016,
" remarked:

One thing that I did not understand was why they removed the payphones
on the platforms.

Too much maintenance compared to the takings, I expect. Their demise was
probably hastened by the project to give Rabbit coverage to all stations
(in much the same way 20yrs later Virgin wifi).

That Rabbit didn't last more than a couple of years is an unintended
outcome.

If it's a choice between using a payphone in the station and waiting till
you reach a landline at your destination, I can see the payphone being
used. If it's a case of just waiting until you get above ground and using
your mobile, I expect people would rather wait. I think there is also an
element that most people have, for practical purposes, "forgotten" about
payphones, in that if they can't use their mobile it doesn't occur to them
to look for a payphone.

Robin

I think that you are probably correct.