Old April 4th 16, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Refurbishment (well, creation) of Acton Main Line station

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 04/04/2016 16:12,
wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter
T) wrote:

On 04/04/2016 11:34, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
Speaking of renaming, I've disliked the name of Liverpool Street for a
long time, mostly because quite a few stations have direct trains to
London Liverpool Street and Liverpool Lime Street, although
fortunately Stansted is apparently no longer among them. (Ross
An cromarty used to say that every time he operated a train out of
Stansted he would give one last warning that the train was going to
Liverpool rather than London, and some people would always get off.)
It occurred to me that Broadgate is not a bad name for the main
station, and then the Crossrail station could be called Broadgate
Moorgate.

There's no historical basis for the name Broadgate, it was just
dreamed up by the developers. Bishopsgate would be the obvious
candidate. Or how about Norton Folgate? (Or Essexgate?)

Wasn't Bishopsgate the name of the original Eastern Counties Railway
terminus? I have a feeling it became Bishopsgate Goods which was roughly
where Shoreditch High Street (Overground) is now.

Yes. I don't think it would confuse anyone alive today in terms of
the current (Liverpool St) station and that old one, though as
Monsieur Jet points out there is the potential Bishops Stortford
confusion.

I'm afraid I think any change from "Liverpool Street" would confuse far more
people than any confused between "Liverpool Street" and "Liverpool Lime
Street".

--
Colin Rosenstiel