Old April 13th 16, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Dragon Tony Dragon is offline

Default TfL, Oyster, contactless payment cards and Apple Pay.

On 12/04/2016 12:49, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 06:51:44PM -0500, wrote:
(Paul Corfield) wrote:
If I was in your shoes I'd just set up auto top up on Oyster and use
that. That deals with your issues around lack of a convenient "top up"
location or you forgetting to top up.

How does that work if only using buses? Any online top ups I've ever made
had to be "collected" at a tube station gateline.

I believe that you still need to visit a tube station to turn auto-topup
on, but once it's turned on auto-topup definitely works on buses. You
still need to visit a station though - any station, not just a tube
station - to pick up PAYG refunds for the inevitable overcharging if you
bother to claim them.

My Oyster Card is registered, I have auto top up, if I ever have had a
refund it tops up my oyster card.

The system also gets to know your regular journeys and will auto refund
if something unusual happens.

Getting a refund by phone takes less than five minutes, I have never had
a problem.

On one occasion I had a refund after I made a call, then the system did
an auto refund.

I have only ever been overcharged because of my mistakes or because a
train has been cancelled after I touched in and I had to use bus instead
of train.

The refund can be collected within 14 days at a train station, once when
I did not use a train (over Christmas) within the 14 days I received an
e-mail asking if I wanted the time extended.

I also get a spreadsheet showing my Oyster journeys for a week emailed
to me.

The only problem I have (and it's not that bad) is I have to keep my
Oyster & my Freedom Card separate.

---