Old April 14th 16, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default TfL, Oyster, contactless payment cards and Apple Pay.

On 2016-04-11 22:15:57 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

From my limited observations there are now quite severe problems on
buses. They struggle to read any card first time with people having to
retouch their cards so that the reader has a chance of determining
what type of card it is communicating with and then deciding the
transaction that has to be undertaken. I think it is worst for those
using phone based technology but that's just based on reading other
people's experiences.

I don't know about Apple Pay, but I have not had problems using a
contactless credit card on TfL services. I think one of the problems
may be that they do take longer to process than Oyster cards - you have
to hold it there until you get the beep - and it's easy to pull away too
quickly.

Agreed, I haven't had any problems using contactless which is my main
method nowadays. Well, I would agree with Paul that I think the bus
validators seem to struggle somewhat - a second 'touch' is sometimes
necessary. This is on contrast to retailers POS machines, which hardly
ever miss the first 'touch'.

An aside - "contactless" isn't a great name for the technology, as it's
best if you do actually make contact / touch the card on the reader.