Old April 22nd 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default Overheating 95s

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 17:51:58 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
(Christopher Jolly) wrote:

Anyone know why the 95s are prone to do this? Perhaps the cooling
system isn't quite up to the job?

Maybe the smell is the heat from the resistor grids being dissipated
when using rheostatic braking? I don't know if the Northern line can
accept regenerative braking. (i.e sending the energy collected back
to the supply source)

I would suspect the smell is from friction braking when regen/rheo braking
isn't able to be used?

Its definately not a brakes smell, its a distinctive hot metal burning smell.
Hot brakes smell completely different. It could be the resistor grids I suppose
but it seems to occur even when the train hasn't been going very fast before
the station. Whatever it is, its a bit disconcerting as a passenger.

--
Spud