Old May 13th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul R Paul R is offline

Default Help with choice of London-Airport transfers

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message wczoc.48553$Ut1.1365006@bgtnsc05
I would be very tempted to exit the tube at Knightsbridge, where it's a
normal road (Hyde Park Corner is a very busy intersection - once famous
for being the busiest in the country) and get a taxi the last mile.
There should be plenty of them available outside Harrods (use the
western exit to the station).

That sounds like a good bit of advise...plus at that hour of the morning I
won't be competing with shoppers for the taxis outside Harrods :-)

Most hotels will be rather taken aback by someone checking in at 9am
(rather than 2pm onwards), have you checked what the position is?

Doesn't really matter. Since we have confirmed reservations, the hotel's
Concierge will store our luggage until our room is available. We asked for
an early check-in, so there's a chance it might be available around noon. If
not, we'll keep walking...and sightseein'

Your LGT pick-up suggestion also sounds good...thanks!

That same evening will need transport to Gatwick to meet family member
who arrives at 1930h and will need transport from Gatwick back to
Grosvenor House Hotel.

Walk or taxi to Victoria Station (a little under a mile). Gatwick
Express, half an hour. Remember that your arriving passengers will take
typically 30-45 minutes to clear customs and immigration. If it's just
one person it'll be cheaper to go back to Victoria on the Gatwick
Express, then probably a taxi to the hotel is worth the expense ($5-10)