Old May 7th 16, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default New Thameslink indicators

In message , at 14:16:36 on Sat, 7 May 2016,
LHS1 remarked:
A few questions:

What's with the deal with the tunnels just north of SPI, BTW? AIUI,
they will allow services out to Cambridge? Is there an ETA on when they
will turn wheels in anger?

Thameslink 3000, the famous project which never ever seems to be quite
completed.

Current franchise holder Govia originally predicted May 2018 for
through-running, however I've seen some back-sliding to Dec 2018. The
spin-doctors said the necessary trains would be in place by "Spring
2016", but it's getting perilously close to summer.

But these will be the slower trains - the ex-Cambridge-Cruisers will
continue to terminate at Kings Cross. But even that plan is tuning to
dust at the edges, with the promised 2tph north of Cambridge falling
into a Network Rail funding black hole (Ely North junction remodelling).

I have also heard that TfL is due to eventually take over the
Thameslink franchise. If that's the case, then when is that due to
happen and why did it not happen earlier?

I don't think the want to take over all of it.

Are there any prospects for the now-shuttered Kings Cross Thameslink?

No, the platforms are too short and too narrow.