Old May 14th 16, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:17:06 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge.

Even on Sundays when the congestion charge doesn't apply?

Yes, 24 hours a day.

The aim isn't to ban dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older
vehicles into replacing them.

But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

Yup. We're now much more aware of the non-CO2 pollution from diesels.

There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further encourage this
switch.

Euro n-1 hopefully. Diesels are still on track to save the planet from
peak oil.

Peak oil? That's a quaint old notion. We'll all be using electric or
hydrogen powered vehicles for clean air/global warming reasons long before
peak oil.