Old May 15th 16, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JNugent[_5_] JNugent[_5_] is offline

Default Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures

On 14/05/2016 09:43, Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:

New mayor Sadiq has announced that he will launch a formal
policy consultation in a matter of weeks on a major package
of measures to tackle air pollution in London.

I don't use buses much so I'm ignorant about the routes
and the use of them. I know that numerous buses run along
Oxford Street and clog up that road, but I don't know where
they go to, how heavily they are used and what percentage
of passengers travel right through Oxford Strret and beyond.
So, I have a question for the bus experts here. Is it a feasible
option a) to re-diagram bus routes so that bus journeys begin
and end at Marble Arch or New Oxford Street/St. Giles Circus
so that those buses do not travel along Oxford Street at all,
and b) design a hybrid trolley bus with a small petrol engine,
and run a trolley bus shuttle service along Oxford Street - with
overhead wiring installed of course - using the petrol engine
only to move the bus to and from the bus depot?

It is always feasible to cange bus routes, but Oxford Street is about a
mile long between St Giles and Marble Arch.

Would it be practical not to have any buses serving it?

Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

I'd be surprised if TaL operates any buses powered by petrol. It would
be phenomenally expensive.

Diesel has been the fuel for larger vehicles since well before WW2.