Old May 27th 16, 11:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default GOBLIN 172s: where do they go during their hols?

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 22:12:54 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

David C wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 14:58:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

As I'm sure most people know, the GOBLIN line is soon to be electrified,
and there will be partial and complete closures starting from tomorrow. It
will be completely closed from 24 Sep to Feb 2017. It will then reopen,
presumably still using the current DMUs, until the electrification is
complete a few months later, and the new 4-car Aventras arrive in early
2018.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...lectrification

The line has eight 2-car 172s that are modern and in good condition, so
they're in no need of renovation. I wonder if they'll just go into storage
during the complete closure, or will they be loaned to any other operator
that needs extra capacity, even if only for a few months?

And once they've been replaced by the new Aventras, has their future home
been decided?

For anyone who's interested, here's a few pics I took on the line earlier
this week:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57668732378626

Chiltern would be the "obvious choice", the LOROL units were ordered
by Adrian Shooter & have a similar specification to the Chiltern 172's

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I was wondering whose decision it is?

Is there any hint of Chiltern needing some extra stock anywhere ?
Depending on how the work is arranged, there could be scope for 172s
substituting for the buses if suitable sections of GOBLIN were
complete save for switching on the juice.

That's the situation when the line reopens in February. The work won't be
finished and the lines energised for at least another four months, during
which time I assume the 172s will provide the service. They won't be
available to anyone else till the Aventras enter service in 2018. So the
DMUs will be running under the wires for at least six months.