Old May 28th 16, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Chisholm Jim Chisholm is offline

Default Val Shawcross deputy mayor for transport

On 28/05/2016 09:10, Robin9 wrote:
'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
wrote:-
In article
nal-september
.org,
(Recliner) wrote:
-
wrote:-
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2016 20:39:34 -0500,

wrote:

In article
,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 03:58:41PM -0000, Recliner wrote:

Former London Assembly Member Val Shawcross has been appointed to
Mayor Sadiq Khan's top team as deputy mayor for transport.

Prior to her time at City Hall she served on Croydon council ...

Maybe with a south London transport boss, and a south London mayor,
we'll start to get the same quality of service as the Northerners
get.

South London would have to get North London's geology for that,
though.

It's much less of an issue with modern tunneling machines. But the
fact remains that south London is already criss-crossed with a dense
network of surface railways, leaving less need for additional TfL
lines.

Sort of. It's too complex a network to handle the metro frequency
services required. Read "Turning South London Orange".-

Yes, but the solution in most cases is to improve the surface network
(with more grade-separated junctions, etc) than building a network of
all-new deep Tube tunnels.-

Can't agree or else there wouldn't be a Bakerloo Line extension project
for
example. Much of inner south London already had an extensive electric
tramway network by the time Sir Herbert Walker got going.

With the trams gone and serious traffic congestion nowadays, there are
major
gaps in the transport network that would not be filled by more frequent

services on Southern routes.

In some cases, like the Wimbledon-Sutton "wall of death" line which was

built to avert a District line Sutton extension, the present routing is
poor substitute to what a District extension would have provided.
-

Note my use of the words "most cases". We already have a Northern line
extension underway and a proposed Bakerloo extension, but what else?

Bromley Council have suggested the LO should be extended
from New Cross to Bromley North, and I have suggested extending
the Hammersmith And City Line from Hammersmith to Wimbledon.
(My suggestion is unlikely to receive a sympathetic hearing!)

On a different tack, the London Overground service from
Clapham Junction to Canada Water and Dalston Junction goes
directly over Brixton Station. Is it feasible to build new platforms
with a connection to the other services, particularly the Victoria
Line?

There is an article in this months MY ONWARD SERIAL (Modern Railways)
regarding 'Turning South London Orange' which covers this subject.
It includes the idea of a 5km tunnel (no stations)for fast SouthEastern
services from Victoria (Battersea to beyond Herne Hill) That frees up
capacity on local lines and could enable use of disused platforms at
Brixton (6 pages with maps and pics)
Jim