Old May 14th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default That 'sicknote' Tube driver

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
Boltar wrote:
Maybe there are , but he was claiming a dodgy ankle. Please do explain

how
he could play squash with a bad ankle but couldn't drive a train with

one?

Frankly, I don't know if it's likely that an ankle injury could
be fit for a game of squash, but not for driving a train. That's
because I don't know much about driving trains, or ankles.

Everyone appears to be assuming that this guy was playing a full-on game of
squash. However, he clearly indicated on Jeremy Vine's radio programme that
he was only playing a light knock-up, to test the strength of his ankle.
That doesn't seem unreasonable to me - after any such injury you ease the
foot/ankle back into use, testing the lateral movement, the internal and
external rotation etc. a bit at a time, before applying any 'heavy-duty' use
to it. The kind of testing that might make it quite possible to drive a car
but not a train, where it *might* be necessary to jump three feet down onto
the trackbed, landing on the damaged ankle.

My initial reaction to this guy was to damn him as a 'lead-swinger' but,
having read much more about the case and heard some of his points from his
own mouth, rather than as they have been reported, I'm beginning to think
that there is a little bit more to this than meets the eye!