Old May 30th 16, 04:07 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] View Post
Robin9 wrote:

'Paul Corfield[_2_ Wrote:
;156027']On Sat, 28 May 2016 10:10:29 +0200, Robin9
wrote:
-
On a different tack, the London Overground service from
Clapham Junction to Canada Water and Dalston Junction goes
directly over Brixton Station. Is it feasible to build new platforms
with a connection to the other services, particularly the Victoria
Line?-

Lambeth Council commissioned a study into this. TfL have also looked
at it. The last number quoted (in a Mayor's Answer) was in the region
of 」50m-」70m to build new platforms. There a load of issues including
sloped tracks which can't be used for platforms under new standards.

The bigger problem is that it's unlikely the service could cope with
the demand. Ironic I know but peak trains are full to bursting without
a Brixton stop. You'd need 8 car trains and a higher frequency and
that throws up huge problems elsewhere on the ELL route. It'll
probably come one day but that's a big piece of work with strategic
issues about what you do with short, constrained platforms on the ELL
tunnelled section.

--
Paul C

A few years ago the obvious answer would have been to
send 8 car trains stopping at Brixton to London Bridge. That of
course would involve doubling the service west of Queens Road.
I wonder if, when the London Bridge work is completed, that
would be possible. My guess is that such a Brixton station
would generate more customers than any other station on the
route except Clapham Junction itself.

The completed London Bridge will have only six, rather than nine, low level
terminating platforms, so there's much less scope for trains to terminate
there than in the old days.
Yes, I've just seen that from an article in "Modern Railways."
Clearly the idea is to enable more trains to pass through
London Bridge to Charing Cross, Cannon Street and St. Pancras
International. But Charing Cross and Cannon Street have
limited platform capacity anyway, so how much will be gained by
reducing London Bridge's capacity to accept terminating trains?
Blackfriars