Old June 12th 16, 10:14 PM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
On 12/06/2016 17:48, JNugent wrote:

On 10/06/2016 22:42, Recliner wrote:
[...]
For example the page below doesn't mention that for residents of Bexley
or Bromley the freeze will have virtually no effect.

http://www.sadiq.london/sam_russell_bexley_bromley

True, though he does correctly say, "Sadiq Khan has a clear and costed
plan to freeze all TfL fares for the next four years, so you will
not pay a penny more in 2020 than you do in 2016."

He certainly doesn't say he will freeze *all* fares, only all TfL fares.

In that case, his promise is a non-sequitur for many Londoners, as
anyone who can remember the "supplementary rates" debacle(s).

For a Bromley or Bexley commuter (and I would guess also for
Kingston-upon-Thames), "[a] plan to freeze all TfL fares for the next
four years, so you will not pay a penny more in 2020 than you do in
2016" is just a lie.

If you are referring to rail fares from Bromley, Bexley or Kingston on
Thames, then these are NR fares not TfL fares. Simple fact.
Yes, we all know that; but many non-enthusiasts don't.
When such non-enthusiasts are told "you will not pay a
penny more in 2020 than you do in 2016" they do not analyse
the small print for weasel escape clauses. They take such
promises at face value, and that was what Sadiq Khan was
counting on.