Old June 14th 16, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Kahn fares u-turn

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:08:24 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016,
tim... remarked:

There's also likely to be a big shakeup of travel ticketing (will CIV
survive?)

Um, when was the last time anyone (here) bought one of these across a UK
border

Surely almost everyone buys a point-to-point E* ticket.

Plus the UK to StPancras leg, which is often substantially cheaper if you
buy the CIV ticket, especially in the peaks.

I suppose there's the border on the Belfast-Dublin route. Can't remember
what type of ticket I had when I did that

as the whole low-cost flights thing is a result off EU deregulation, and
the allocation of slots is also an EU thing:

Low cost flights are based upon a "modern" business model.

But business models need a regulatory framework within which they exist.
Scrap the framework and there could be trouble ahead.

That framework doesn't rely upon the EU

if it did "Norwegian" couldn't compete (to name but one)

Whilst slots at airports might play a role at the margins, they aren't the
difference between them existing, or not

They are at places like Heathrow (and UK to other very busy EU hubs).

I know slots are in demand at LHR, it's why the cheepies don't fly from
there

That's for all flights, not just the low cost ones.

the last 20 years has shown us that the majors have to compete on fare with
the cheepies even if they do fly from the more convenient/popular airport

20 years of trying to persuade us to continue to pay the premium price
failed

tim