Old June 15th 16, 02:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default London Underground changing typeface

Basil Jet wrote on 15 Jun 2016 at 02:42 ...
On 2016\06\15 01:48, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 01:20:07 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2016\06\14 19:11, Graeme Wall wrote:

Crossposted to UTL.

There is an outstanding article at

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2...-johnston-100/

I didn't look at the overlay showing the differences, until after I'd
realised that the slope of the lower part of the "g" was different -
and even that took some time.

Is it my imagination or does TfL New Johnston Book, pictured about
halfway down the article, have a capital O which is taller than it is wide?

Yes, that's true. New Johnston Book, introduced in 2002, is a slightly
condensed and lighter form of New Johnston Light, intended for body text
at 12pt or smaller. One of its features is that the diamond shapes (in
letters i and j, full stop, etc.) have concave curved edges in orer to
improve legibility at small sizes. TfL have not always followed the
rule not to use Book at sizes greater than 12pt. If you can see the
curves on the diamond, the rule has been broken!

--
Richard J.