Old June 16th 16, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default London Underground changing typeface

wrote on 16 Jun 2016 at 08:49 ...
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:44:07 +0100, Robin wrote:

That in itself is an honour, as over its 100 year history you can (quite
literally) count the number of times an ‘official’ version of Johnston
has been sanctioned for use outside of a TfL/LU body on the fingers of
one hand.

How close was the version sold via the LT Museum ?
Known as P22 or some such.
In have it on a 3- 1/2" floppy disk in a drawer somewhere.
Must get that transfered to something else though it is also on an old
machine that may start up.
As well as the lettering the disk contained symbols of the various
arrows used on LT signs and some tile patterns.

When I purchased it what must be over twenty years ago it claimed to
be true to the original design but I have never studied or have the
intimate knowledge to spot minor differences.

G.Harman

The "P22 Johnston Underground" font is very faithful to the original
Johnston, though I find it doesn't look very good on screen at small
sizes. There seem to be a number of sites offering it as a free
download, not sure how legally. (P22 still sell it on their site.) It
has a few non-Johnston additions such as '#' and '@', the latter based
on the Johnston 'a'.

P22 have also produced a comprehensive set of fonts marketed as
"Underground Pro" (but still crediting Edward Johnston as one of the
three designers). This is an extension of Johnston Underground to cover
six weights from Thin to Heavy, plus other variants though not italic.
--
Richard J.