Old June 20th 16, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Why does the victoria line still have signals?

On 15.06.16 20:00, Richard wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:49:40 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Richard) wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 15:41:55 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Richard) wrote:

According to Wikipedia "LUL claims that this is the world's first
ATO-on-ATO upgrade", which Paris, Barcelona, etc. might have something
to say about.

On the basis that the Victoria Line was the first automatically driven
line and its ATO system has now been replaced? Have Paris or Barcelona
done that?

Both were testing automation in the 50s, and Barcelona's line 5 had
ATO in service in 1961 (so LUL aren't correct about being first). This
was a creaky system based upon photo-electric cells - I think Paris
v1.0 was similar, so it will have been replaced, I imagine twice.
Paris certainly replaced a lot of conventional ATO equipment on the
busiest lines in the 70s, but in that case it was more of the same
rather than the impressive upgrade that the Victoria line got.

And do either plan to run 36 8-car trains an hour?

Paris's line 1 has around 20tph at the moment, local time 2100. But
really that wasn't the question, nor was it a contest. Paris did
achieve a first, the conversion of that line, the city's oldest, into
unattended ATO a few years ago.

Richard.

Isn't line 4 due for conversion to crewless in the next few years?