Old July 13th 16, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Conductors axed from NB4L/New Routemaster/Boris Bus

In message , at 10:56:06 on Wed, 13 Jul
2016, d remarked:
If you've got a family and rent/mortgage to pay you can no longer
afford to have a job in construction (for example)

I thought plumbers were paid quite well.

I was talking more building sites.

New buildings need plumbing too.

High paid blue collar jobs are probably safe for now.

Round here, the work the locals have 'lost' is crop-picking.

Go into any shop and see how many english accents you hear behind the counter.

Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsburys have entirely white English staff as far
as I can tell. Although the most usual language you'll hear from
customers, in Tesco at least, is Polish.

I visited dorset a couple of weeks back and was amazed to actually hear english
people working in Costa. Either the immigrants haven't made it down there yet
or the local rents & house proces are low enough to make it possible.

Pubs and coffee shops seem to be split between those who employ almost
entirely eastern Europeans, and those who employ almost entirely
English. It's striking enough that it has to be some sort of policy,
rather than just random.