Old July 14th 16, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Conductors axed from NB4L/New Routemaster/Boris Bus

On 2016-07-14 08:47:47 +0000, d said:

The few times we tried it it actually took longer to shop online than actually
do it in the shop.

If you largely buy the same stuff, it then gets easier because you can
get it to show you "what I normally buy" and "what I bought last time"
and just go through selecting quantities and clicking add. Takes maybe
10 minutes, versus over an hour to drive there, shop and drive back,
even given that I have a choice of all the major supermarkets (English,
"American", German and posh) all within 10-15 minutes' drive.

I didn't do it for years because it does take ages to set it up from
scratch, but once set up it saves hours.

The only problem is you have to rely on someone at the depot to pick you
fruit and veg that isn't unripe/overipe/damaged which apparently isn't always
the case according to some friends.

There is that, though what I tend to do is to have a load of
non-perishable/frozen stuff delivered (and freeze the fresh meat
myself) once a month, then pick up fruit, veg, milk[1] and bread when
it is convenient, often from smaller shops. It's much easier to do
that on the way home from somewhere than to do a full shop.

[1] Though I order a load as a starter - the "filtered" stuff tastes
nicer and keeps nearly 2 weeks unopened.

Neil
--
Neil Williams