Old July 15th 16, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default ECML: Too much competition or just enough?

In message , at 10:09:03 on Fri, 15 Jul
2016, tim... remarked:
Mr. Poynter's argument is that open access competition
has lead to over-provision between KX and Edinburgh
while towns such as Lincoln are neglected.

Odd you suggested that location as last week I got on an EMT train with
a final destination of Lincoln, taking 3 and a half hours

and I thought "why would anyone come this way" (availability of
ultra-cheap fares excepted)

No-one does, but it ticked a box in the Lincoln[shire?] Council who had
some kind of election promise to lobby for a direct train to London.

What they did was take an existing Lincoln-Nottingham service and
persuade EMT to use a 5-car Meridian rather than a Sprinter, joining
with a second existing Meridian service (Nottingham-StPancras).

Many lessons here about Brexit promises being delivered in word, but not
in spirit. Like "gaining control of our borders" (which we already had,
in the sense that it's our order Agency which checks the paperwork)
while continuing to implement the EU's freedom of movement policy.