Old May 15th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Park Royal (was Croxley Link progress)

TheOneKEA wrote:
Solar Penguin wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote...
I know nothing about it myself, bar what i've read around here, but
our Mr Arquati has a file on it:
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

Thanks. Good to see new stations are being built for the Underground.

It's being built? I've ridden past Park Royal on both lines and seen
absolutely no sign of any construction whatsoever.

It's awaiting planning permission. I've asked them to put in some bike
parking, inexplicably left out of the original design.

In the early days of London railways, there were no interchanges
because the lines competed.

After the 30s (tube) or 1948 (main line), people thought radially, and
did little to help suburb-to-suburb journeys.

Now, with zone 1 tube so congested, suburban interchanges have an
extra justification. As well as facilitating orbital journeys, they
can enable people to enter zone 1 on a line that goes to their
destination station, reducing zone 1 travel distance and interchanges.

Both these benefits relieve zone 1 congestion.

The cost argument is frankly baloney. The only other way to relieve
zone 1 is to build new lines, which is far more expensive and takes
far longer. If Ken wanted, he could have all the obvious interchanges
built within his next term. Crossrail, at best, will take twice as
long. Increasing the capacity of the NLL might take rather longer.

Colin McKenzie

--
Why believe statistics?
Ignore them and you can believe the damned lies instead!