Old July 17th 16, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim... tim... is offline

Default Will Brexit lead to the abandonment of Crossrail2 and Turning South London Orange?

wrote in message
In article ,
(Colin Reeves) wrote:

On 16/07/2016 07:32, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The UK is not in Schengen, so it has control over its borders already.
If it doesn't use that, it's not the EU's fault.

Only in respect of non-EU nationals - the UK has no border controls
for EU nationals.

Yes it does, even if most are entitled to entry, they are still subject to
control.

but we have almost no control over who is allowed in from the EU

the only control that we have is to check that they have a valid identity
document (and aren't on a terrorist list)

this isn't what most people mean when they refer to control (and pretending
that it is is disingenuous)

Across the Irish land frontier, no-one is subject to control of course.
The
British just don't understand land frontiers. The ability to control flows
across them is distinctly limited, unless you go to Iron Curtain lengths.

no-one is worried about people who come here to "see the sights", they are
worried about people who come here to take advantage of our facilities that
they haven't contributed to.

Of course we wouldn't have this problem if we checked at point of use that
people were "entitled" but I think that is an argument that is long lost

tim