Old May 16th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Hynes Mark Hynes is offline

Default ELL in peril yet again

On Sat, 1 May 2004 19:56:03 +0100,
wrote:
Boltar wrote:
Personally I'm not too upset about the ELL not going ahead. If it was to be
a proper tube line then fine , but I'd rather my tax money was spent on
something other than a bit of track to join up a load of **** poor TOCs
just so they can **** up east london travel as much as they have everywhere
else.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any "east london travel" that does the
job the ELL would, and so I can't see how the ELL could **** up travel
routes that don't exist. It might not improve them as much as we might
hope, I suppose. Do you have a more cogent argument that you can advance?

Other than the extension north the route follows existing national rail lines.
Living on the proposed southern route of the extension, I've never quite been
able to work out why it's been trumpted as so important. It doesn't open up
many (if any, really) new journey opportunities that seem likely to have any
great demand. All of the southern stations are currently commuter stations
to London Bridge and London Victoria, and unsurprisingly commuter journeys
to those terminuses are the vast majority of journeys. I can't really see
the demand changing from that and all of a sudden there being a rush of
people travelling from, say, Forest Hill to Whitechapel. Which is a journey,
like most others using the proposed extension, which can already be made
easily with just one change anyway.

--
| Mark Hynes

| "What are you trying to incinerate?" |