Old May 16th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.sailing
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Tall ship hits Tower Bridge

Roland Perry wrote:
In message ,
Richard J. writes
"Andy Spark, from the Jubilee Sailing Trust, said: 'We believed the
bridge was booked, but it didn't open - we don't know why yet.'
... But the Corporation of London, which owns Tower Bridge, said:
'No lifting of the bridge had been booked in.'

From having done a tour of the bridge I'm pretty sure that vessels
requiring it to lift have to call in on the radio, that all bigger
vessels have to carry. I wonder why the Tall Ship didn't (either
have such a radio, or use it).

One news report said that the Tower Pier lifeboat crew heard the Lord
Nelson on the radio asking for the bridge to be lifted, but all lifts
have to be booked in advance, and this one apparently wasn't.

The Thames bridges also have "traffic lights" for vessels, so this
is actually a SPAD as well!

I doubt it. AFAIK the lights are to show which bridge arches are
available for navigation. There was no reason to stop vessels passing
under the bridge, but it's the skipper's job to ensure he has enough
headroom.
--
Richard J.