Old July 18th 16, 10:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] mcp@hotmail.com is offline

Default Will Brexit lead to the abandonment of Crossrail2 and Turning South London Orange?

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:32:19 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 23:55:32 +0100, Charles Ellson wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:14:51 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 08:20:54 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:49:33 on
Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Optimist remarked:
Then the shortfall should be paid by the UK treasury, and deducted from
the amount paid to Brussels.

It's not so simple. Countries are not rewarded with research participation
based on their EU contributions. They are included because their
universities are appropriate participants. We have the best EU universities
and so were included disproportionately; now, knowing we will soon be gone,
our universities are not considered for inclusion in new EU-funded
projects, as their work may not be funded after 2018.

Same answer - fund our OWN universities from the amount we pay in EU contributions.

But the whole £350m(sic) has already been promised to the NHS, or was it
Cornwall, or perhaps Wales.

Our universities are world-class, so it would be foolish of the EU not to co-operate with us as they
do with other non-EU countries. If they decide not to, well, we can co-operate with other countries
instead, their loss not ours.

Regarding NHS expenditure, our EU contributions currently exceed our rebates and grants from the EU
by nearly £10billion a year (see section 9.9 of the "pink book" on the ONS website) so when we leave
the elected government can decide to spend this as it sees fit, e.g. on the NHS.

The money won't be spent on health in England, it will go into
supporting further privatisation of the NHS.

TTIP, which the EU wants to push through, will do that.

The UK government could have chose to exclude the NHS from TTIP but
didn't. They were also one of the driving forces behind TTIP so the EU
may backtrack on it now.