Old May 16th 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Richards Stephen Richards is offline

Default ELL in peril yet again

but surely the ELLX does the following?

a) extend Tube services to South London

It won't be tube, it'll be National Rail with National Rail frequencies

b) provides a new cross London service

Yes... bu more of a round London service

c) provides faster journeys to Docklands via Canada Water / Shadwell
stations

Yes

d) provides a new access point to part of the City via the Shoreditch
High St station

Not many people working in the city woudl call Shoreditch the city.
Anyway, I think Shoreditch Station will be closed.

e) provides a Tube service into the London Borough of Hackney

See point a. Anyway, what is the use of a tube service if 90% of the
people want to use it to go to the city or West end, and the tube goes
somewhere else?

f) provides a potential for economic development in deprived parts of
London

Yes

g) provides an orbital rail service across South and Inner East London

Yes

h) provides a second Tube link into the Tramlink network

not a tube

i) potentially reduces the loading / congestion via key Central London
termini and their adjacent tube stations.

Yes

I agree with the originator of this thread - I don't see what all the fuss
is about. Yes, it would be nice to have, and it's a disgrace that it is
being stopped (if it is) after starting work because we "can't afford"
cost of 3.5 miiles of new track, but it's not a great addition to the
London network, and hardly a major infrastructure build that is worth
trumpeting from the rooftops..