Old August 3rd 16, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 08:25:38 on Wed, 3 Aug
2016,
d remarked:
Of course, the actual order was confirmed in, I think, 2013, not
2008, when discussions first started. So there's really no good
reason why the spec wasn't updated to include Wi-Fi in the
intervening five years of debate, discussion and negotiation.

Is there any plan to fit them with wifi post-delivery?

Allegedly.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the uplink in train wifi is done
in the UK? Does it use the cellular network or is it a proprietary radio
system?

It's a mixture of satellite and HSDPA mobile. Coverage can be very
patchy outside of urban areas. The main problem with the Elizabeth
Line will be whether there's any mobile coverage in the tunnels.
Existing HEx tunnels do have GSM coverage.

I bet the tunnels will have leaky feeder aerials for 4G or some other radio
technology. It's a well-established technology. At work (still Philips then)
we did most of the central London tube stations for emergency coverage after
the King's Cross fire. That was for voice comms. Data is probably easier.

--
Colin Rosenstiel